4/25/2006

Frankenkitty















May I present Frankenkitty - brought to life with stuff, fluff, thread and cloth. He is my BackTack 3 prototype, and surprisingly wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. (Cheated a bit, he's half machine stitched, half hand stitched - so much for learning to machine sew.) I think that I could actually pull this off, although I am glad I practiced. The hardest part was turning it inside out, though some of the difficulty may have been the remnent I was using. I think that it was a very 'open' weave and the stitches turn inside out really easy and fall apart. I'm hoping that with a tighter weave, and maybe an adjustment of tension it will be better. and maybe some better quality stuffing, he's a little lumpy in spots and I like a nice firm softie. But in all not so bad huh? I received my back tack matchups last week and am very excited to see what everyone comes up with. I think that its amazing that there is such a common need for more creative endevors that hordes of people sign up to send little things all over the globe. and speaking of little things....what do I send along with the stuffie??? It seems there is all this talk and expectations of extras, and I'd like to send something but what? I must think on it.

Thank you to everyone that emailed me on Blu's Spots. She is doing better and better everyday. and now looks only mildly polkadotted!

6 comments:

ariana said...

Oh you are so good, You have already started! Your prototype is looking really good! I have yet to get started on mine but I'm hoping to have some time this weekend. I can't wait to see your finished kitty!

Kate said...

Great prototype. This pattern always look difficult to me too - might have to change my mind about my backtack project.

laura said...

Thanks! Starting in advance means less cramming at the end. I'm trying to avoid having to pull an all-nighter to get this out.

Belinda said...

I was thinking of doing the kitty too. I had a little play today, did you have trouble with attaching the gusset?? That's where I gave up in frustration...

stephanie s said...

hi there.... you are right about using a tightly woven fabric, it makes all the difference. you can trim the seams to a quarter inch or so and not have to worry about fraying and it will make turning it a whole lot easier. use small stitches and clip the curves and you will be very happy with what you can do..... good luck!

-s

Linda said...

I actually cut the fabric a 1/4 bigger than the pattern. It made it really easy to turn inside out.