6/29/2006

Home at Last.

Its good to be back. I'm now offically ready for the vacation from my vacation. I'm tired, the house is a mess, and I think that I gained five pounds...but I'm also really pleased with the great trip we had, and the fantastic goodies that I brought home!

I hit all the spots on my list.
The Met of course, the highlight of which for me are the Vermeers and the Rembrandts.

Also where this art deco mosaic reminded me of a patchwork quilt,

















































and where there was this amazing lace in the Medeival art exhibit. I wish I remembered where it was from.











Next, we hit Pearl Oyster Bar,

for their luscious lobster roll. and blueberry pie.


Saint Ambrous Gelateria
for some mouthwatering gelato.
Peter tells me this is the best he's had outside of Italy, I'm taking his word for it.

Oilily (when they wouldnt let me into the Frick with the baby), for some shameless drooling over their adorable dresses. I bought Blu one little outfit, but sadly the dresses will have to wait until she's walking. Don't want her to get tangled. Nearby Oilily I discovered Bonpoint....wow. Thats it, the entire store summed up in one word. Wow. This place rocks...and it knows it. It costs a mint. But, wow ( I can't say it enough) I wish that I fit into their clothes. Everything is made from Liberty fabrics, everything. The pants, the blouses, the dresses; all in beautiful subdued shades, no wild pinks and oranges here. The sweaters are wonderfully designed, hand knitted, and cashmere. If I didn't knit myself, I would have had fits over them . The whole store looks like it was made from a japanese craftbook, but well, French. Needless to say we bought stuff...just a little.


The main event of the trip's shopping was Purl.
It is everything that has been said about it and more. I think that if I lived close by, I would never leave. I would be there in the morning when they opened and would have to be pried away when they closed. The store, and Purl Patchwork a couple of doors down, is not large. But its contents are so refined, so beautifully organized (by fiber and color), that you feel like this is the ultimate yarn shop. Similarly with the fabric shop...it is as if, because the stores are so small, they only have room for the very best things. I think that they thought I was very odd. We, the baby and I, must have fondled every yarn in that shop. T wice. I just couldn't decide. this is what I came away with:


see that? thats cashmere...lime cashmere. It was calling to me, I tried to leave without it but no, it needed to follow me home.


This is some lucious silk. Peter asked if it was enough to make anything with. I kinda dodged the question because well no its isn't really. But its so expensive, that had I purchased enough to actually knit something, he would have choked. This way, I can buy it in bits...ease the pain as it were. Sneaky, no?

This is some Alchemy destined to become an Icarus shawl in the future.


and this is some selfstriping sock yarn from Lorna's Laces.
Made exclusively for Purl, so its kinda like a souvenier.

At Purl patchwork I was more modest. They swore to me that their website would be up in the near future, so I felt consoled as I will be able to order more fabric as needed.

Still, I came away with these:




and these:

Next on the list was, Kinokuniya.
Surprisingly the Kinokuniya in NY is not any bigger than the one in San Francisco. It may actually be smaller if you include the stationary store. It is more centrally located. Right across form the Today show stage in Rockefeller Center, which boggles my mind because that has got to be some pricey real estate and to have it filled with a bookstore, and a non english one at that is kinda astonishing. But I disgress. I was there for the craftbooks. And I found some great ones.
This is called "Simple Quilts".
The text at the bottom in white says "I wanted to make this sort of white quilt..." While I haven't yet ever attempted quilting, I liked the minimalism of the colors and the contemporary designs.



Next is one on Handbags.
Called roughly: "Start of the journey, with this bag". there has to be a better translation, but well I can't think of it right now sorry. It is a book of handbags for travel, or going out. Each bag featured has a smaller accessory bag, and some have 2.



Finally I got this book which I have seen on a number of blogs.


New York children's clothes.



I love this book. It has two stories associated with it for me. The first crafty blog that I ever read, last year sometime, was Nikkishell. I was amazed at her skill and especially loved the clothes that she made for her daughters. In particular, there was a kimono top she made that I adored, and she posted later on that she got it from this book. I've been on the look out for it ever since. The second story is that when we were walking in SoHo after going to Purl I went into this little children's shop that had some really cute things in the window. Inside were many wonderfully simple little outfits, out of Liberty of course, with a very familiar style. Eerily so. On the wall was a little ribbon map that I recognized. I realized that it was all made from that same book! Then I asked the clerk, who of course was Japanese, that had the store by any chance ever written a book? And of course....they wrote it! I'm a bit of a dork, and I got rather excited. He seemed rather surpised that I knew of the book at all, as I'm not Japanese..but put up rather well with my pathetic fangirl gushing. I had to buy something at that point to show my appreciation, so I got a little knitted monkey for Blue who's really a girl- monkey cause she's got her baby on her back. I thought that I had a picture, but I can't seem to find it right now.

The store's name by the way is Makie and when I got back to my hotel and looked in the book there indeed was the inscription, 'Makie's childrens clothing'. Amazing.

Traveling with the baby was easier than I expected it to be. She graciously slept on the plane, most of the long train rides and sat through several meals and trips to the museum.

She's started to creep along the floor now, nearly crawling. Its rather exciting.. and a little worrisome. I think that I have a lot of baby proofing to do in our house yet. Hope to have some new things to report next week. Have a good weekend!

2 comments:

bekka said...

looks like a fabulous trip. you found lots of nice goodies!

laura said...

:-)