11/20/2006

Best Ever























Banana bread has the most heavanly smell. It warms up the whole house, and makes me salivate long before its ready to eat. I made this loaf the other day from a recipe found on epicurious - actually from a recipe found in the comments for a banana bread recipe on epicurious - and it really is the best banana bread ever. Banana bread isn't subject to the same sort of subjective tastes that other baked goods are. For instance, it would be difficult to say what the best brownie recipe ever is, because some people like cake-like brownies and others prefer fudge-like ones. But banana bread has an international standard I think - moist, but still firm with just a little bit of nuts - and this one was perfect!

Best Ever Banana Bread
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 3 very ripe bananas
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/4 cups flour
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 cup crushed walnuts
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Cream butter and sugar together.
Beat eggs, and add with bananas to butter mixture.
Sift flour, salt and baking soda 3 times.
Blend into banana mixture.
Pour into greased 9x5 loaf pan and bake until a skewer poked into the center comes out clean, about 1 hour.
Place on rack to cool.

We ate this very fast, I think that I will have to make another loaft tomorrow.

I'm almost done with the Icarus shawl, only 9 more rows to go! Its a race though, the last ball of yarn is getting smaller and smaller very quickly and I'm worried that I'm going to run out before I'm through. Also on the needles is a nice stripey sock which I hope to have a picture of next time as well.

Until then, a gratuitous image of Miss Blu looking very chic in her beret!

No comments: